A History of the Twist or Pikarua Design
The shape of the twist greenstone captures a fashionable design. Yet, the significance of the twisted gemstone is much deeper than merely a work of art enjoyed as designer jewellery.
- The unique design resembles the twisted paths we follow in love with family, friends or anyone dear to our hearts. Sometimes life throws the unexpected at us and puts us through many twists and turns. Still, as time passes, we grow closer, we cross the distance which might be between us and become one in the end.
- The word Pounamu is a Maori word which indicates a combination of three kinds of stone. These are Serpentine, Bowenite and Nephrite, formed through years of pressure from tectonic plates. The Maori people soon noticed the benefit of the hard stone and used it to make weapons and tools.
- Once these tools or weapons became worn, the remaining parts gained even greater significance as their value endured as jewellery and ceremonial pieces.
It takes nature millions of years to form these magnificent stones. Through the movement of tectonic plates, minerals become pressed and folded until it sets in its final form—a beautiful stone with twirls and spots, each unique in its beauty.
The Koru Spiral
The spiral-shaped jewellery resembles the shape of an unfolding fern. You’ll often find Maori art, tattoos or carvings which resemble this shape–a symbol of peace, growth, strength and new life.
- You might find the Koru carved from either bone, wood or pounamu stone. Either way, they are valued and precious gifts.
- Wear your stone against your skin. The stone needs to absorb the oils of your skin to keep it shiny and lustrous. In the case of your stone losing its shine, you can always a light vegetable oil and gently massage it in, ask us for tips and tricks to care for Pounamu.
- Tradition deems these stones to have a spirit of their own and they have an uncanny way of finding the right person to go to so trust your instincts when picking a piece. Being gifted a piece of Pounamu is a true gift from the heart.
About Greenstone Shop
Our shop is a haven where you can come and relax, enjoy the beauty of our stones and the craftsmanship which goes into it. We want to give you the experience of seeing what goes into creating these works of art and the confidence of knowing that your stone is locally sourced. A pounamu is not only a gift; it is a symbol of something special, an offering given with a pure heart.
Kia Ora, we welcome you to our shop.