The Culture and Background of Pounamu Earrings in NZ
New Zealand greenstone earrings are an understated way to wear jade stone, which plays a big role in Maori culture. Discover how the stone developed over thousands of years, and how it became a significant part of the Maori culture.
- Jade can be found in the South Island of New Zealand and was traditionally used to make weapons, tools, and other ornaments. Greenstone formed over 2 300 million years ago when heat and pressure combined on the ocean bed. It was lifted high into the mountains 10 million years ago. Over time, erosion released the stone boulders into rivers and glaciers, carrying them to the remote valleys and streams where people find them today.
- Pounamu is a talisman that many people believe ensures long life and if typically given to family members and friends as a gift. While there are many elaborate designs carved from the stone, an elegant and simple pair of earrings keeps it close to the person wearing it. The jade helps eliminate all the negative energy surrounding those who don the earrings.
- Whether you purchase Nephrite or other variations of stones, all occur in beautiful olive shades and are exceptionally tough, making them durable and elegant at the same time. Earrings can be simple or more intricate carvings representing different symbols.
The Significance of Greenstone Earrings in NZ
Earrings made from the indigenous stones of New Zealand are well crafted, and they are exceptionally detailed pieces of art that represent the Maori culture, history, and spiritual beliefs. Here are some of the significant symbols:
- The fishhook pounamu earrings in NZ represent prosperity, good health, and safe passage over water.
- The koru earrings are carved spirals, which simulate perpetual movement. The inner curl represents going back to the origin but returning to the same. This ever-changing symbolic walk of life is given at milestone events like marriage or having a first child. It also symbolises the strong bond between people.
- The tiki earrings are a symbol of fertility and good luck. The carving will often have a tongue poking out for protection and bring the wearer strength of character. When you don these earrings, you’ll be loyal and clear-headed.
About Greenstone Shop
We began our business because we are passionate about New Zealand jade, and believe that pounamu is a beautiful gift from the heart that we wanted to share with everyone. Whether you visit us in our store or purchase our products online, you will know that each piece is unique. Please contact us and let us help you choose the best earrings for you.
Start a collection of beautiful pounamu jewellery today.