The Importance of Greenstone
At our shop, visitors find a relaxed atmosphere where you can be part of the art of Pounamu carving. We celebrate the beauty of Greenstone, its mystical past and the millions of years it took the earth to compress minerals into an this extraordinary rock.
- Greenstone holds the secrets to another tale. A tale about Poutini, the protector of the people on the West Coast: he saw a young wahine called Waitaiki bathing and fell madly in love, and since he had to have her, he abducted her . Waitaiki husband Tamaahua a powerful Chief and skilled in the rituals of the spirit world was in hot pursuit to regain his beloved wife. Fleeing further still down the coast of the South Island Poutini and Waitaiki eventually reached Piopiotahi (Milford Sound). Full of anguish and fear she would never see her beloved husband again she wept, her tears forming the stone Tangiwai (Bowenite). Waitaiki begged him to turn around. Poutini finally listened and took her back up the coast, finding sanctuary in the headwaters of the Arahura River. When the Chief closed in on them and Poutini realised Tamaahua would not give up, Poutini hid her in the riverbed and changed her into his essence the Pounamu stone. This is why Waitaiki has become the Mother of Pounamu to the Ngai Tahu people.
- Science tells a different story about the origin of Jade, stretching across millions of years. It is a story of unimaginable pressure from the tectonic plates on minerals in the region. The result is the magnificent stone with unique patterns of dots and twirls. A rock so robust and hard, it became tools and weapons, and as its usefulness as tools ran out, the Maori often wore it as jewellery.
Symbolic Meaning Behind New Zealand Jade Pendants
We celebrate Maori design and symbolism with the beautiful features of New Zealand Jade known as Pounamu or Greenstone here in New Zealand. Hei Matau is only one way in which we celebrate both, and each of the symbols we create has its own wonderful significance.
- The symbolic meaning of the Whale Tail in Greenstone is a symbol of intelligence, compassion and love making it the perfect gift for anyone with an affinity for the sea and these sacred creatures. Whale Tails offers protection while navigating through life’s trials and tribulations.
- As life goes on, we often face challenges and unexpected turns in our journey. During these times we might move apart from those we love. The Twist or Pikorua styled Greenstone is the perfect gift during these times - symbolising that even if we travel different paths our paths with come back together.
- Seeing loved ones struggle during times of adversity is never easy. The New Zealand Jade Toki is a fitting gift during such times. A gift symbolising strength and courage, a boost of confidence when needed the most.
About Greenstone Shop
We revel in the beauty of the natural wonder of Pounamu. Hence, we celebrate every piece of stone with a unique handcrafted design. A Whale Tail, Toki or Hei Matau, all perfectly made for you.
Spend some time in our shop and witness our craftspeople doing their magic.