The History of Māori Greenstone Toki
Toki blades were fastened to sculpted wooden shafts to be used by the skilled carvers, craftsman to create beautiful works of art, wakas and buildings.
- Māori designs have magic that can enhance the life spirit of the article or individual it embellishes when attached to them. When the toki was affixed to a skilfully etched shaft, its life spirit soared.
- In today’s world, the toki pendant in NZ represents power when worn around the neck because of its connotation with the tribal chief and the amplified life force of the toki poutangata.
- We offer a range of exceptional greenstone or pounamu toki pendants, earrings, and artefacts for you to choose from, treasure, and wear with respect and pride. View our toki Poutangata Tangiwai pounamu blade and handle with Manaia head and Paua eyes, hand-carved by Malcolm Hooper from Rimu.
- Consider our Kowhaiwhai patterned and engraved Kawakawa pounamu toki carved by Dean Taylor. The Koru engraving depicts the spiral shape of an unfurling silver fern frond and signifies a new beginning, growth, and positive energy.
Our Māori pieces are beautiful yet represent more than art. They create a compelling link with the ancestors, and the natural world of the Māori.
Can You Customise Your Order For Greenstone Toki Pendant?
We make high-quality custom designed and carved jewellery and figurines available as per your request. Feel free to talk to us and show us your ideas for a specific object.
- If you’re unsure of the Taonga (treasure) design or style a special person would appreciate, give them a Greenstone Shop gift voucher.
- Each of our distinct pieces is photographed and coded. The piece you choose is the exact objet d'art you will receive − hand-carved locally by an on-site or NZ artist.
- We have many beautiful designs to suit all tastes: pendants that depict birds, seahorses, whales, tiki masks, breastplates, leaves, and hearts. Have a look at our fascinating solid brass belt buckles with rhodonite or flower jade inserts and our Porowhita that symbolise the never-ending cycle of nature and life and bring together the head, hands, and heart in your actions.
We do our best to surpass your expectations because we are genuinely passionate about what we produce, and we honour our heritage by donating to an organisation that cares for our birds and wildlife every year.
Why You Should Use Greenstone Shop
Our New Zealand owned-and-operated store provides free shipping in NZ and Australia. Our customers appreciate our beautiful store, friendly staff, prices, the variety on offer, and the quality of our artists’ work. You can use lay-buy, AfterPay, and PayPal to pay for your order. Contact us or visit our store.